Whether you make this traditional hominy-based Mexican stew on the stove top, in your Instant Pot®, or in the slow cooker (see directions below) this pozole verde doesn’t disappoint. From the tender shredded pork to the vibrant broth and tasty toppings like Cholula... Whether you make this traditional hominy-based Mexican stew on the stove top, in your Instant Pot®, or in the slow cooker (see directions below) this pozole verde doesn’t disappoint. From the tender shredded pork to the vibrant broth and tasty toppings like Cholula® Salsa Verde, easy pork pozole verde makes a tasty meal or appetizer from start to finish. ReadMore ReadLess
INGREDIENTS 10 Servings
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder or pork tenderloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Oregano Leaves
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Chili Powder
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped white onion
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 McCormick® Bay Leaf
- 2 cans (7 ounces each) green chiles, drained
- 1 cup Cholula® Salsa Verde
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white hominy, drained and rinsed
- Optional Toppings
- Shredded green cabbage
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Chopped avocado
- Lime wedges
- 1 Place pork in large bowl. Sprinkle with salt, oregano and chili powder, tossing to coat evenly on all sides. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in Dutch oven or large heavy bottom saucepot on medium-high heat. Working in batches as needed, sear pork on all sides. Remove from skillet. Drain excess liquid from pot.
- 2 Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil to saucepot. Reduce heat to medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 - 3 minutes. Stir in chicken stock, bay leaf and green chilies. Return pork to pot. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 1 1/2 hours or until pork is tender.
Skim any excess fat from surface of stew. Shred pork into large pieces. Stir in Cholula® Salsa Verde and hominy. Simmer 30 minutes longer. Season with additional salt, if desired. Ladle pozole into serving bowls. Top with shredded cabbage, fresh cilantro, sliced radishes, chopped avocado and lime wedges, if desired.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Try Making this Pozole in the Instant Pot®! Season pork as directed. Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in Instant Pot on Sauté function. Add seasoned pork and brown on all sides. Remove from pot. Add onion and garlic; cook 2 - 3 minutes or until onion begins to brown. Stir in stock, bay leaf, green chiles and pork. Close lid. Set Valve to Seal. Set to cook on HIGH PRESSURE (MANUAL) 15 minutes. Allow pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes. Quick release any remaining pressure. Remove lid once pressure inside pot is completely released. Skim fat from surface. Shred pork into large pieces. Stir in Salsa Verde and hominy. Replace lid and set Valve to Seal. Set to cook on LOW PRESSURE 10 minutes longer, quick releasing pressure when time is up. Serve as directed.
• You can also make this recipe in the slow cooker! Season pork as directed. Place in slow cooker. Add onions, garlic, chicken stock, bay leaf and green chiles. Cover. Cook 3 – 4 hours on HIGH or 5 – 6 hours on LOW. Shred pork into large pieces. Stir in Salsa Verde and hominy. Cover and cook on HIGH 15 minutes longer or until heated through and slightly thickened. Serve as directed.