Every step of this taco recipe is worth it because – tacos. Prepared in the slow cooker for 12 hours, pork comes out full of signature Cholula® Original Hot Sauce flavour and ready to fork shred. Load into warm tortillas and top with favourite garnishes like …. More Cholula... Every step of this taco recipe is worth it because – tacos. Prepared in the slow cooker for 12 hours, pork comes out full of signature Cholula® Original Hot Sauce flavour and ready to fork shred. Load into warm tortillas and top with favourite garnishes like …. More Cholula®! ReadMore ReadLess
INGREDIENTS 18 Servings
- 8 pounds (4 kilograms) bone-in pork shoulder
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) olive oil
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) lard
- 3 small onions, finely chopped, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons (10 milliliters) ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 milliliters) ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons (45 milliliters) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup (125 milliliters) Cholula® Original Hot Sauce
- 1 bottle (355 milliliters) (12 ounces) beer
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) canola oil
- 24 tortillas
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) crumbled Cotija cheese
- 4 limes, cut into wedges
- Tomatillo Salsa Verde
- For the tomatillo salsa verde
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) coarsely chopped tomatillos
- 1 small sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup (250 milliliters) fresh cilantro stems and leaves
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon (5 milliliters) ground cumin
- 4 1/2 teaspoons (22 milliliters) thinly sliced and seeded serrano chiles
- 1 Pat pork shoulder dry with paper towels. Season all over with salt and the pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet on medium-high heat until shimmering. Add pork, searing 5 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer pork to slow cooker.
- 2 Add lard to skillet and melt on low heat. A about half of the onion and the garlic; cook 5 minutes until softened. Add to slow cooker, along with coriander, cinnamon, lime juice, Original Hot Sauce, and beer. Cover.
- 3 Cook 12 hours on LOW.
- 4 Meanwhile for the Tomatillo Salsa, place tomatillos, onion, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chiles, and olive oil in blender. Puree until smooth. Season with salt, to taste. (This can be prepared ahead of time, and will keep refrigerated for up to 1 week.)
- 5 Add half the canola oil to separate large skillet on medium heat. Toast tortillas about 30 seconds per side until warmed through and toasty. As you work through the tortillas, place them between clean kitchen towels to keep warm.
- 6 Transfer braised pork to a serving dish, shredding into bitesize pieces with 2 forks. Serve with warm tortillas, remaining minced onion, cotija, lime wedges, and Tomatillo Salsa Verde. Drizzle with additonal Cholula Original Hot Sauce.