A popular ingredient in many Mexican recipes, pepitas are the start of this sweet and spicy homemade brittle recipe. Tip: Make a double batch and package it in a festive tin or box for holiday gift-giving.
INGREDIENTS 4 Servings
- 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) Cholula® Original Hot Sauce
- 2 cups (500 milliliters) granulated white sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 milliliters) (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (75 milliliters) light corn syrup
- 11/2 cups (375 milliliters) raw pepitas
- 1 Line 15x10x1-inch (38x26x3-cm) baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside. Mix sugar, butter, corn syrup, and 1/2 cup (125 mL) plus 2 tablespoons (30 mL) water in large saucepan. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat if needed to keep mixutre from foaming.
- 2 Remove from heat when mixture reaches deep golden color (after about 10 minutes). Carefully stir in Hot Sauce and pepitas (mixture will be bubbly!).
- 3 Pour mixture onto prepared sheet pan, quickly spreading into an even layer.
- 4 Cool completely. Break into bite-size pieces. Store at room temperature in an air-tight container, with layers separated by wax paper, for up to 2 weeks.