Making fresh, colorful halibut ceviche at home? Easier than it looks, thanks to smooth tang and heat of Cholula® Reserva Tequila & Lime Hot Sauce and a few simple ingredients.
IngredientsList_Title 8 IngredientsList_Servings
- 1/2 pound fresh sashimi-grade halibut, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 cup fresh-squeezed lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar or honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh garlic
- 1/2 cup diced tomato
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 1 tablespoon seeded, finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons Cholula® Reserva Tequila & Lime Hot Sauce
- 1 Place fish in large non-reactive bowl (such as glass, plastic, ceramic or even stainless steel). Whisk lemon and lime juice, agave and garlic in small bowl until well blended. Pour over fish, stirring gently to coat; fish should be completely covered in marinade.
- 2 Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 20 minutes, stirring halfway through. Add tomato, red onion, cucumber, jalapeño, salt and pepper to bowl with fish; mix gently. Replace cover and refrigerate 20 minutes longer.
Drain marinade. Stir in avocado, cilantro and Hot Sauce. Transfer to serving platter. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with tortilla chips or over tostadas.
Test Kitchen Tips:
• Any semi-firm or firm white fish will work in this dish! Try it with flounder, red snapper, sea bass or grouper.
• Set a timer! Do not over-marinate ceviche—if you do, you may end up with tough, rubbery fish.