Pork Carnita Empanada
- 5 ounces Habanero sausage, skinned and minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapeños, deseeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 1/2 pounds pork carnitas
- 1 bottle Cholula Green Pepper Hot Sauce, 5 ounces
- 1 1/2 pounds smoked cheddar, shredded
- 3 cups dough
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1 Put Habanero sausage and onion in food processor and pulse until minced.
- 2 Heat large sauté pan and over moderate heat. Add oil to pan and sauté sausage, onion, jalapeño, garlic and pork carnitas.
- 3 Once everything is tender, about 4 - 5 minutes, add cilantro and Cholula Green Pepper. Remove from heat and add cheese. Reserve in refrigerator until cooled, about 1 hour.
- 4 Take dry ingredients and put into mixer with dough hook. Start mixer on low and add wet ingredients slowly.
- 5 After ball has formed, remove from mixing bowl. Knead until smooth and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- 6 Remove dough from refrigerator. On floured surface, roll dough to 1/8” thick. Cut 5-inch rounds from the dough, recipe usually yields 14 - 15 rounds.
- 7 Take a heaping spoonful of filling and put in center of dough round. On half of dough round, brush rim of dough egg wash. Fold dough over filling making half-moon shape.
- 8 Take fork and press around edge to seal. Fry in 350ºF oil until brown (about 4 minutes) or take and wrap tightly and freeze. Frozen empanadas may take up to 10 minutes to get filling to temp.